Thursday, September 22, 2011

Beans...beans...

Ok, so you know the rhyme about beans.
They're not sexy like chocolate, but they're good for you!
I've been on a I need less animal protein and more veggies.  I know this about myself.

Beans are delicous, protein & fiber rich, and good for you.  Google: benefits of beans, and consider how to add them to your diet. And they can be BFC friendly too.

I soaked, seasoned and cooked some yesterday. Great on my afternoon salad, and 'refried' some for dinner.
To make refried beans (no oil):
Heat can of beans (black is great-check out labels for fiber, etc...pretty impressive)  Or some of your home cooked ones w/ the juice-
Add seasoning...I like Costco's taco season mix, but a blend of chili powder, cumin, garlic, pepper, etc. is very good to. No need to add salt w/ canned beans-in my opinion.
Once they get bubbly-start smashing with a potato masher or immersion blender-depending on the consistency you like. And within minutes you have 'refried beans'. If they start looking too thick before you're done mixing-just add more bean juice or water.
One day I'll be better at uploading pics, but for now I'm pretty proud of myself for blogging!
I hope you each have a wonderful day-

P.S. Speaking also of chocolate...go to Dawn's blog and check out the 'cookie' recipe.  They are tiny chocolate nuggets of yumminess.  (Is that a word?). Why not have them on occasion, instead of a square or two...or three of chocolate?  Fiber/heart heathy fats/protein, etc. 

4 comments:

  1. I still eat beans too, just not very many. :) Thanks for the shout out! I'm loving my little chocolate cookies, especially the chocolate chip ones. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeri, Great post, I used to eat beans all the time, especially re-fried. Now I know how to do it myself. Thanks and have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say - I'm not sure *what* would happen if you put egg whites in the cookie dough. They would probably get fluffier. You should try it! One of the reasons I love these cookies so much is how simple they are to make. No beating, I can just use my bowl and wooden spoon.. love that. :) But go ahead and knock yourself out with the egg! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog from Rosalie's. I like beans too. My kids really love them...usually cook them for the kids, but I really enjoy them too. I'll have to try to make refried beans.

    ReplyDelete