Friday, November 11, 2011

TGIF 11.11.11

 I'll be spending the morning with our grand-daughter-working this afternoon-and hubby will be coming home from business trip early this evening. All good things..

I realize how 'odd' I eat sometime, but let me share this kale salad recipe. If you don't like or want to eat kale- Check out the salad dressing-it would be good on Taco salad or on grilled meat or veggies.
 I really love this side dish, and it was perfect with the shrimp I grilled (love my grill pan). Kale can be a strong flavored green, but the dressing holds it own, and mellows the kale right out... I will be making this again.
Kale Salad w/ Chipotle & Avocado Dressing (Recipe modified from the Raw Chef)
2-4 servings
Put in serving bowl:
1 head of kale (take out rib, finely chop- I used the food processor)
'massage' w/ 1 t salt-will soften and look wilted
Add veggies of choice: I added red bell pepper (recipe called for tomato)
Recipe calls for 1/4 C hemp seeds, but I didn't add any. Toasted pumpkin seeds to garnish would be good though
Chipotle/Avocado Dressing ( I put all dressing ingredients in  food processor- could use blender)
1 avocado
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 clove garlic
1 chipotle pepper (I used canned in Adobo...spicy, but good
1/4 C olive oil (I used 1/8 c.-I don't think I'll use any next time)
1/4 C lemon juice
1/4 C vinegar
Process and mix w/ chopped kale. Stores well for a few days.

6 comments:

  1. Jeri that sounds really good - I love greens of any kind. Have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe it sounds great. My co-workers tell me all the time how weird I eat, but I really just eat what I like and I like to try new things. Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeri! That recipe sounds great. I made a kale salad awhile ago. I saw it on the food network Arti Parti was the name of the show and Arti, who is Indian, always makes unusual dishes. That is the first time I saw the kale massaged, but what a difference it makes in texture. Your recipe sounds great too, especially the dressing. Definitely on my 'to make' list! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs to you from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeri - I love your comment about how odd you eat now! lol. I feel the same way. I would like to add Kale to more things too so Ill give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeri, I thought your dressing ingredients sounded so good I decided to use them (except vinegar and switched lemon to lime) to mix with ground turkey last night for dinner. I then made turkey burgers and cooked them up in a pan and mixed a little more of your dressing with some chopped tomatoes and put on top of the burgers on a platter. They were really good! Spicy with a southwestern flair! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete